Sunday, April 6, 2008

madness

Project: dream bunny
Page: 96

So in this segment I wrote about a dress that Linnae wanted Analinn to wear to a formal dinner. The point was that it was inappropriate for the occasion, it showed how engrained it is in Linnana and Analinn to obey even when obeying makes them want to puke, and... some sort of symbolism that I haven't quite defined but I don't think it needs to be said because less is more and all that. Anyway, I just really love how it's described, especially since I have no idea how to describe fashion appropriately and neither does Analinn.

Analinn: "It was a shiny harbinger of doom and nausea."
Janae: "This is the kind of thing you wear for one person and one person only, and half of the fun is taking it off."
Analinn: "Silver monstrosity."
Analinn: "It screamed money. It screamed a lot of things, and most of them I wasn't allowed to indulge in. It just hung there, taunting. Bitch of a dress, and it knew it."
Jarik: "...sin in silver."

Yeah for showing and not telling, baby. Although I think I was more beating the hypothetical reader with a photograph than just holding up a nice slide. I was making a point.


Anyway, I want to stop for the night, because that is the intelligent thing to do and this is seriously just flying. It's crazy (thus the 'madness' subject line). But the words are coming so well, and I just love some of the descriptions. "There were about ten feet of space between us that suddenly felt very pronounced. Damn. I hate it when space multiplies like that without my noticing." And then all that stuff about the dress. And all the stuff about Analinn's relationship with her mother.


Showing not telling for the win.

Aqualung's Something To Believe In is wildly appropriate right now. I have a good soundtrack.

Oh, wordcount. Right. That. *sheepish* 47,522. 7,414 today/tonight. SEE WHAT I MEANT ABOUT THE MADNESS?

No comments: