Friday, February 3, 2012

part one done!

Word count: 97737
Project: flashback 1


Second draft, uh... mostly done! In that I have gone through it deleting, adding, and fiddling until I'm moderately appeased. It's a good second draft. It's no longer a steaming heap of dubious value. It's stronger. The major lesson here is less is more. I cut 5500 words, and sometimes entire scenes at a go. They're all in their own document in case I want to salvage a line or two.

There are still things I'm not sure of. I had to stop and reconsider an entire story arc before declaring it symbolism, damn it. I still have to add the real beginning. That's about seven scenes, I guessed, but I'm in correct mode, not create mode.

I still feel like some of this is over my head. Like I'm just flailing and barely grasping it. It should become stronger every time I go over it, though. It's like sketching. You start with the crap outline, delete some stuff, add some stuff, smear the lead for shadows. You have to have a big pile of something before you can hack at it and turn it into anything recognizable or "art." It's a Process.


On to part 2. I still have to fix Firestarter's formatting and organize it, but I'll probably throw that entire folder on Dropbox and just do it in my spare time at work.

No comments: