Saturday, May 14, 2011

YA dystopia

Word count:
Project:


...would eat my bank account for dinner if I gave it half a chance. As it is, it is currently the bulk of my Amazon wishlist.

It's nice to see that as the backlash against the insipid fluffy paranormal romance that's cluttered shelves lately. As it is, there has to be some kind of thought and major theme to make any kind of dystopia work, and not just a formulaic Insert Misunderstood Tab A into Dark & Broody Slot B. It's even nicer to see a bunch of moral ambiguity. Oh, that is my crack.

My wishlist is currently glutted with this. Also, bad scifi movies and things that make me go hm, but these own the front page. I can't even list them all. A few have some highly personal quirks--craving the beach, or settings on the Gulf Coast--but mostly, they've just got that Kids Making Horrible Choices thing. (Go on, click it and judge me.)

For all that I like dystopias and danger, I'm not so big on the action. I prefer more horrible choices and conflict, less badassery and fighting. And while we're being all dark, that prose better be lyrical and carry enough atmosphere to make me feel weird for the next two hours. Embarrassingly high word counts a plus.

GO TEAM LITFIC! MAKE A COMEBACK! SHOW THAT TEEN PARANORMAL ROMANCE!

This is my crack.

No comments: