Word count: 8881
Project: poD 8
I just watched Moulin Rouge. I feel artsy. Good movie. Good for feelin' the artsy.
But it wasn't Moulin Rouge that inspired me today. It was a random convo online. I'd just painted my nails out of sheer spite--it wouldn't have crossed my mind to do that if I weren't allowed to while working at the dining hall--and after some "I wouldn't have pegged you as the sort to do that" chatter I had an idea.
What if acting girly and aspiring to be a princess or a cheerleader was the accepted way to lash out against gender roles? If pink tulle was the image of girls' rebellion, not torn jeans and skateboards? What kind of world would that be? What kind of social and political structure would support that? What kind of normative gender role or sexuality?
Something to think about in the shower tonight.
In other news, I am writing in poD. The real file, not the I'm-impatient-and-jumped-ahead file. 2200 so far today. Whoohoo! As usual, things aren't developing quite like I'd thought, but that's okay. That's why we have these things called drafts.
All good ideas come from a random, lonely what if.
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment