Thursday, January 7, 2010

(deep) editing

Word count:
Project:

Copy-pasted from Jeri Smith-Ready's blog, because I'm rapidly beginning to fall in love with her/it:
What's with all the different colors? I once took an online workshop with author/trainer/psychologist Margie Lawson called Deep Editing. Part of the process is to break down the different elements of one's writing: dialogue, actions, description, interior thoughts, and visceral gut feelings. Each one gets its own color, so you can look at a page at a glance and figure out what's missing. (You can also work on each element separately--I do this especially with actions, which tend to be repetitive in early drafts.)


Whoo! Sounds like it might be fun to try. I realized tonight that printing, for all that is enormously uneconomic, might be the only way to disconnect enough to actually accomplish all that editing is. Also, highlighters.

I also realized that, while maybe it's practice and maybe it's just me being a snob, I don't DO the stupid ideas and random babble/exposition that most people seem to talk about cutting out of the first draft. I'm sure there's enough to warrant a smackdown from a great editor, but I know when what I'm writing is stupid, and I either cut it or don't do it. Maybe being such a minimalist has something to do with it; it feels like a lot of that trash is melodrama and I tend to avoid that like I'm allergic.

Or maybe I'm just too close to see them.

Either way, I don't seem to struggle with it. However, when I really go through poD before sending it out, a lot of those dramatic exploratory scenes are going to have to justify themselves hardcore or get axed.

...

Or maybe you actually have to FINISH something before seeing them.

Hmm.

No comments: