Wednesday, October 14, 2009

hollow

Page: 13/13
Project: Hollow

That's what I'm renaming S&D. I edited it tonight. Got it under the word count limit, primarily, but also threw in a single line that recasts everything in a new light. It's... subtle. It's incredibly subtle and it surprises me because I didn't think I could do that. I really like the second draft. I still need to go through it for technicalities and to check for stronger verb choices, although I think at some point stronger diction will take away from the subtlety. I could probably spin the climax tighter, but I've only 10 words left and I don't want to overwhelm anything.

Imagery for it: sunlight through an ice-coated window. Muted, understated, underestimated, but it has its own sparkles. I renamed it Hollow because I think that underscores what I wrote better, and this is the kind of thing that needs a strong title to pull it all together. Hollow refers to the characters and their lives. I think it's best explained in Jordan's character and Melissa's yearning for a real "home." In Hunter's determined optimism, Aaron's mercenary ways, and Terry's acceptance of life.

But they still have lives, which is a little more obvious. They're still very much characters and there's a lot of voice, which has always been my strong suit. I definitely think it requires more than one read-through.

Maybe I need a second word in the title?

I'm nervous about submitting it. I read a recommended story and watched a recommended trailer to get a feel for what CP wants. They were both fantastic. The story was incredibly lyrical and vivid, but the prose style isn't mine at all. The story was still great, though. I'd definitely watch the movie if only for the eye-candy. But they were both so flashy, and mine is gritty and understated.

Guess we'll see then, huh? Here's aiming for a mid-window submission, based on my audition beliefs that if you're that awesome go first and set the bar, but if not, go for the middle so you don't catch the initial high expectations or the dismissive ending fatigue.

Basically, I know it's good. I don't know if it's what they're seeking.

Here's hoping.

No comments: