Tuesday, February 8, 2011

and a few things about mass murder

Word count:
Project:

This blog is gonna get me watch-listed.

So I'm reading this HP fic. It's no secret that I think Harry Potter is criminally mishandled and would have been fantastic if JK Rowling knew what she was doing or had an editor worth his paycheck. And it's no secret that I think the large majority of fandom is similarly ignorant, and that is why I stick to my lurking corners of the Ginny/Draco shippers. Not because I feel particularly called to that pairing, but because those writers tend to better treat some of the complexities. Namely, that you don't get over being mentally violated like that in three weeks, and/or that eleven-year-olds are not inherently and arbitrarily evil. Also, I appreciate snark, and it's plentiful.

I study dictatorships. I study how power is consolidated and how it splinters. I study war and genocide. It's really dark stuff, yes, and this is why I write and play so much in my own happy mental fantasy land. So I don't go crazy. Yes, my homework does on occasion give me nightmares. It's why I can't stand the actual HP books. They're wrong. It is not that easy, or simple.

I could fix this.

There's an opening field of historical research called psychohistory. The particular angle I'm thinking of is where researchers try to identify how people turn into agents and perpetrators of genocide. There are several excellent books on this, using the Nazi Holocaust as a case study. The leading book is Ordinary Men.

I think you know where I'm going with this.

Take that, Auror!Ginny-finds-hiding-WarCriminal!Draco trope! You wouldn't even know what hit you!

I'm so glad I don't write HP fics! Or darkfic in general.

No comments: