Wednesday, June 25, 2008

playlists and epiphanies

Project: poD
Page: currently, 52


I've been writing all day. This truly is aptly named. I guess since it's a fanfiction, it doesn't actually need a proper name. The individual sections all have good names. I concede this battle. For now.

I pulled up WMP. First I had the adagio playlist going. Then I edited it to take out any religious songs, because I don't write religion and I didn't want that filtering into my mind and heightening the possibility of religious allusions (although I have decided that, for my own peace of mind, that while my characters are not religious themselves there is a catholic (note! adjective, not proper noun!) concept of hell that will be referred to on occasion, just as it is in contemporary real-world culture. ...That was esoteric. Anyway, I then moved in rapid succession from the edited adagio playlist to only Incubus. For some reason, Incubus is the perfect soundtrack right now. Half the time I don't understand why some songs work and some don't work, or why it changes like it does. --That's wrong. I never really understand it. But Incubus. That's what's playing. Anna Molly, Diamonds and Coal, Oil and Water, Just a Phase, Southern Girl, I Miss You, I Wish You Were Here, Dig, Love Hurts, and Admiration.

The other thing that prompted this sudden entry was that I could end SotF tonight. I could. And not in a marathon burst of writing, either. I could feasibly conclude it within a few introspective Jaaren pages.

I think I'm going to do that and then on this extra torn-out sheet of notebook paper from my lab on Tuesday I am going to sketch out the arcs through each part. Just to see what's happened and to actually trace the development of the plot/characters.

...I am really, really happy with this and the characters. They're as deep as any characters I've ever written. They might get converted to RP. I do want some new characters and I'm feeling dry and uninspired in that arena. Pokemon to Dragonriders of Pern shouldn't be too bad of a transition, all things considered, right? Right?

I'm crazy.

Off to finish this thing!

No comments: