Word count: 6119
Project: same
Did I just stumble on LLMM's real plot? Suddenly I have a conflict to resolve and worldbuilding to illuminate! AND IT IS DARK, LET ME TELL YOU.
Fact: Chaisen (and now Eryn), Toren, Riyan, Marthain, etc all live in a very rural bayou. It is basically the netherworld between Earth and the two sides of hell. Bunch of wild magic and weird, scary animals that they have to keep in check. Given its proximity to hell, it's not uncommon for brimstone mines to be discovered.
Fact: Chthonic magic users (eg necros and vampires) looooove them some brimstone. It cripples-to-kills everyone else depending on where they fall on the magic spectrum, but it strengthens them/gets them high/whatever.
Fact: There is a race of vampires (I use race very loosely here, between the lack of better specific terminology and the need for the connotations) lovingly called Calisse who basically get off on enslaving and humiliating their food sources before nomming. We had a run-in with them in G&V. They are some scary motherfuckers who routinely ruin lives. Ana will never look at caramel the same way and Adam can never date another full human again.
Fact: Every Lord and Lady has a major and a minor element under their control. Inna has water and desire (not necessarily sexual). It's basically a euphemism for dopamine hits. Her dual mistresses who take on both sides of this are colloquially known as Inna's Girls and usually end up dead or wishing they were dead.
Fact: Eryn is about to be revealed as one of them, who completely stifled one half of her nature in order to blend in. This is sadly not a long-term solution didn't work for long.
Fact: Vampires, particularly the sadistic Calisse, have a For Shits And Giggles Hitlist. Demigods and Inna's Girls are both on it. There is a soft truce regarding the demigods, because of the nightmare it would become if you try to eat a god's baby (also, their boss tends to be heavily related; you don't eat your boss's nieces and expect to stick around). Mistresses are not similarly protected, and not everyone is smart enough to care about the truce.
Fact: Eryn now resides with Chaisen, in whose area there is an exposed brimstone mine that is temporarily re-buried. Due to circumstances beyond her control, she had to break up with her necro boyfriend to do this.
Fact: One of Eryn's best friends is the demigod responsible for teaching the trick that recently got an entire coven of Calisse burned alive and assaulted by exploding body glitter. (They had it coming, but fact remains.)
:D :D :D :D :D
And now I seriously need a new name for this. Every single damn thing has changed except the main character(s). Brimstone sticks but it's used in the Pearls & Brimstone set. (I guess I can recycle it?) I need the other half of the conflict rep'd though. Ummm. Mistresses & Brimstone sounds like it's about chthonic mistresses but those don't exist, and it's not fluid enough. Water is weird and synesthetically unpalatable. Desire & Brimstone looks and feels good but squicks me out because I know all the levels of meaning there so I GUESS THAT'S A WINNER. Ewww nickname ready-go. *retags stuff; is glad there's only 2 or 3 posts so far*
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment