Friday, June 19, 2009

pearls and brimstone

Page: 13 (total)
Project: pearls and brimstone

You know what else isn't conducive to writing? Documenting Middle Eastern revolutions. Although I was aided when the power surged and the Internet went down for a few hours, so I made like Wade and pounded out Pearls and Brimstone. Which I am, frankly, amazed at.

It started out of a dream and I toyed with it, and then just went to town. I didn't really think, I just wrote, and everything I've wanted to do for awhile came pouring out. I have questionable morals and debatable ethics. I have good guys and bad guys who both do good and bad things. I left a lot of questions and did little world-building, but what little I did say (the whole thing is only 7455 words) is meaningful. I wasn't totally cliche. In fact, I kicked cliche in the face. I stretched my usual vocabulary and descriptions. It can be easily incorporated into either of my other two fantasy works.

The thing is, I like the characters. I'd like to keep writing it, but p&b is done. Maybe I'll do another one, but I never actually established that Reqel is a demi-god or... well, much about her or Adam at all. There's some characterization, but it's lacking. There are certain lines that are embedded in my head that I probably ought to just write, but unless I make them all capable of standing alone, then they're not one shots anymore (which I like, because I like my one shots).

Also, Zultanna is freaking awesome. The Queen of Brimstone: an OCD cleaner, "callypigian," diamond-studded high heels, carnation pink lipgloss, desires Christmas cards, and snarky as all hell. "Who raised you? Wolves?" She, she insists, is glamorous.

No comments: