Saturday, August 27, 2011

when written into a corner, climb the walls

Word count:
Project: c&c


So I am newly inspired to work on my clones story. Thanks, GONE.

I knew when I suddenly ran out of words that while I hadn't written myself into a corner, the story wasn't budging. When the story doesn't budge, it means something is wrong. I wasn't entirely satisfied with what I had in mind, so this doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is that a month later, I still don't know what exactly is wrong. I still like the destructive spiral, and the ending climactic event. But it's how to pull off the destructive spiral that's sticking me, I think. I still like the idea of Sarah falling into the mindless numbness of alcohol and clubs, but I'm not sure about the execution anymore. I don't think what I had in mind will work. More angst/trauma? Darker, smudgier narrative rather than the clear-cut acknowledgment of her actions? She needs to lose herself more before snapping back? Hatred of what she became rather than pride? Come on, Sarah, talk to me.

And so I go through it again, with a big frowny face, because I don't like it when my stories disappear on me. You get back here.

No comments: