Project:
Still not writin' (my NaNo). Hah! Or at least not until Sushi hits 40k, and then I have to scramble.
Anyway, I'm flipping through some old stuff. This is from the last part of my 2010 NaNo.
“I’m one of the flukey ghosts who can fight back.” Tory said gleefully. “And let me tell you, it’s so much fun. I almost got into a life of ghostly crime as a hitman against shithead necros until I got sat down in hell for a very stern talking to.”
...
“Wow,” Ana said at lunch, kind of reveling in her new status and freedom to talk to the dead in public, “I’m pretty sure if I choked, they’d all just awkwardly watch me die.”
“You wouldn’t die.” Tory said, miffed. He reached over and turned the page of the play she wasn’t reading. “I wouldn’t let you. I’d have to somehow save you. That’s my job, and I’d hate to disappoint your lovely boy. I really don’t think letting you die on my watch would endear me to him much, and then there’s my current channeler to keep in mind. Why aren’t you reading this? This is one of the best plays to come out of Morga since ever.”
Ana pressed her lips together before she asked him if he wanted to come over and help her do her hair in the mornings before school. She finished her drink. “And why are you concerned about endearing yourself to my boy?”
“For the same reason as you, probably.” Tory replied absently, flipping to the cast list in the beginning. He frowned at the book and checked the cover. “This is a terrible edition. Who picked this?”
“Plotke.” Ana said. “Tory?”
“Plotke knows better! I’m haunting her room today once I pass you off to your babysitters. I will hide her stapler and leave her a ransom note.” He slumped back in his plastic cafeteria chair and went back to the page his finger had kept. “Terrible translation. That’s not what that meant at all, and the stage direction—“
“Tory!” She didn’t bother hiding the laugh.
“What?” He demanded in a whine. “Look, we all know—he’s hot.” Ana’s elbows hit the table with a thump as she buried her face in her hands. He would. Just, her life would. “Even if you had to go and get him a flesh suit. Don’t hate me for speaking the truth.”
“Oh, I know he is.” She said into her hands, her words muffled. Her cheeks still felt warm, so she kept her head down. “Flesh suit? Tory! And I had nothing to do with it! That was his own doing!”
“It’s alright,” Tory sighed. He turned the page. “I should quiz you on this later.”
“You absolutely should not.”
“Maybe in the middle of the night.” He grinned to himself.
“Tory!” She had the feeling that she would be shrieking his name a lot.
“What? It’s not like you’ll be doing anything.” He said innocently. “Anymore.” He put the book down and looked at her. She wished she could get a decent view; not knowing the details in his face drove her crazy. “By the way, I feel compelled to rub this in: guess who’s roommates now?”
Ana grabbed her empty soda bottle. “Go tangible,” she threatened. “So I can brain you. You are not!”
“Someone’s got to keep his pretty face out of trouble.” Tory said loftily. “And since I’m already keeping an eye on you, I volunteered.”
“That is not why you volunteered!” And he had been around and prowling around Eighth Street enough to learn colloquialisms like yo—she didn’t think he was in dire need of guidance. Ghosts definitely didn’t help pay the rent, although if Tory took commissions…
He just shrugged. “Don’t hate,” he said again.
...
A few ghosts slid past them in a brush of cooler air. Tory rolled his eyes. “Some people,” he said under his breath, “take this too seriously.”
“I know we’re dead, but that doesn’t mean we have to be cliché.” Drew agreed lowly. “Or make it some kind of scene. Come on. Although I did threaten to wake Ana up with chains once.”
Tory grinned. “Kinky. What’d she say?”
“Something about kicking my ass or something, I don’t remember. I was trying to figure out where to get the chains.”
“Yeah, well, just don’t lose the key to the handcuffs. That’s not something you want to explain either.”
Drew shuddered. “I’d say I’d just run away to hell, but they might know that area better than I do.”
“Never underestimate close relations of Our Benevolent Overseer.” Tory said.
Woeface for not having a muse for this one right now!

No comments:
Post a Comment